About Lake Wingra
Lake Wingra is a small, shallow lake located in the City of Madison. Because of its urban environment, the lake faces many challenges, including excess nutrients and road salt from urban runoff. The Lake Wingra watershed management plan, adopted by partners in 2015, seeks to address these and other watershed issues.
Lake Wingra by the numbers
- Watershed area: 3,456 acres
- Surface area: 345 acres
- Shoreline: 4 miles
- Maximum depth: 21 feet
- Mean depth: 9 feet
- Flushing rate: 1.3 years
- 2.3 feet or “fair” according to Department of Natural Resources criteria for shallow lakes (2017)
- Vilas Beach
- Open 99% of the time and closed 1% of the time (2017)
- No closures due to E.coli bacteria; 1 closure due to blue-green algae (2017)
- 0.066 mg/L or “fair” according to Department of Natural Resources criteria for shallow lakes (2017)
Organizations supporting Lake Wingra
The following groups work on water quality issues in the Wingra watershed. Consider contacting an organization near you to get involved!